The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Saturday declared the notices issued by the National Accountability Court (NAB) to PTI chairman Imran Khan and his wife Bushra Bibi in the Toshakhana case as unlawful and declared them illegal.
The development came after Imran Khan and his wife Bushra Bibi challenged the NAB call-up notices in the high court stated that the court should declare the NAB call-up notices illegal and the inquiry should be barred from making changes in the investigation till the final verdict.
The petitions filed under Section 19 of the National Accountability (second amendment) Act 2022, moved the court to declare the NAB call-up notices illegal, as well as the disciplinary action against the petitioners based on the call-up notices.
The seven-page verdict stated that the call-up notices sent by NAB possessed no legal effect.
Citing Section 19(e) of the NAB amendment act 2022, the verdict stated that the provision under the section wasn’t followed which makes it compulsory that an individual is being summoned as an accused or witness.
Toshakhana is a word of Persian origin that literally translates into “treasure house”.
Toshakhana issue became a major issue in national politics after the Election Commission of Pakistan disqualified the PTI chief for making “false statements and incorrect declaration” last month.
The judgment added that the former premier was found to be indulged in corrupt practices under sections 167 and 173 of the constitution. “A criminal proceeding will be initiated against him over filing a false statement.”
“As per the statement of Imran Khan he had purchased the gifts from Toshakhana paying 21.564 million rupees while the Cabinet Division said that the gifts had a value of 107.943 million.”
The gifts include
- Rolex wristwatch no. M228206-0036, 43.6470
- Rolex wristwatch no. M126331-0014, 2G367435
- Rolex wristwatch no. M1I6700LS001,(999927K8) Oyster S
- One iPhone presented by Qatar’s army chief dated 14/11/2018
- Rolex wristwatch no. Yacht-Master, Oyster, Serial no.068A7072. Model 116680
- Rolex wristwatch (No.E67574V3), pair of cufflinks, one ring, and unstitched cloth of pants and coat from the crown prince of Saudi Arabia dated 18/09/2020.
- Graff gift set containing one Graff wristwatch Master Graff Special Edition Mecca Timepiece, One 18K gold and diamond Graff Pen, ring, and pair of cufflinks with a micro painting of Mecca.