The Islamabad High Court in its verdict on Tuesday suspended the arrest warrant issued against Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan, directed to appear before the sessions court by 13 March.
Imran Khan today move to Islamabad High Court and submitted a plea seeking suspension of an Arrest warrant.
IHC Chief Justice Aamer Farooq accepted the plea filed by the deposed prime minister requesting the suspension of his arrest warrant.
The PTI chief’s lawyers pleaded with the court to give him four weeks for his appearance and suspend his arrest warrant in the Toshakhana case. In a relevant development today, the additional sessions judge Zafar Iqbal ordered Imran Khan to appear in the hearing on March 13 for his indictment.
On 28th February, Additional sessions judge Zafar Iqbal of an Islamabad district court issued the former prime minister’s non-bailable arrest warrant over his non-appearance.
After court Orders, Islamabad police raided Khan’s residence in Lahore’s Zaman Park but returned empty-handed as the law enforcers were informed that the former prime minister “wasn’t present” there.
Imran Khan had then approached the same court for suspending the orders, but Judge Iqbal rejected his plea prompting the Ex-prime minister to move the IHC. Now latest Reports are that Islamabad High Court suspended the Arrest warrant of Imran Khan issued by the Local Court in the Toshkahan case.
Toshakhana is a word of Persian origin that literally translates into “treasure house”.
The Toshakhana issue became a major issue in national politics after the Election Commission of Pakistan disqualified the PTI chief for making “false statements and incorrect declaration” last month.
The judgment added that the former premier was found to be indulged in corrupt practices under sections 167 and 173 of the constitution. “A criminal proceeding will be initiated against him over filing a false statement.”
“As per the statement of Imran Khan he had purchased the gifts from Toshakhana paying 21.564 million rupees while the Cabinet Division said that the gifts had a value of 107.943 million.”
The gifts include
- Rolex wristwatch no. M228206-0036, 43.6470
- Rolex wristwatch no. M126331-0014, 2G367435
- Rolex wristwatch no. M1I6700LS001,(999927K8) Oyster S
- One iPhone presented by Qatar’s army chief dated 14/11/2018
- Rolex wristwatch no. Yacht-Master, Oyster, Serial no.068A7072. Model 116680
- Rolex wristwatch (No.E67574V3), pair of cufflinks, one ring, and unstitched cloth of pants and coat from the crown prince of Saudi Arabia dated 18/09/2020.
- Graff gift set containing one Graff wristwatch Master Graff Special Edition Mecca Timepiece, One 18K gold and diamond Graff Pen, ring, and pair of cufflinks with a micro painting of Mecca.